December 1st, National Day in Romania. Televisions make money and politicians campaign like there is no tomorrow. We have elections for the Parliament on December 9th, so you get the patriotism.
Mr. Obama send a word to us, through Mrs. Clinton. He appreciates the Romanian soldiers that fight US wars in Afghanistan and on a ship somewhere at sea. I forgot where. You are welcome, Mr. Obama, it is a price to pay for being part of NATO, but, if you don’t mind, can we pretty please, travel to USA without a visa? Not only we fight your wars, but we are also part of the EU. I would really like to spend my winter holidays in New York, at one point but ithout the visa hassle, I hate applying for visas. And by the way, I am a huge fan of yours. No kidding.
On December 1st, 1918, Romania became the great Romania, by adding three more regions to the Romanian territory, regions that were under foreign occupation until that date.
Nowadays, Romania is not a cool country. But I am not gonna talk about it today. I will tell you instead, few reasons why you should be glad Romania is on the map.
1. The pen was invented by Petrache Poenaru.
2. Stefan Odobleja is the father of cybernetics.
3. Nicolae Paulescu discovered insulin. Yet, the Nobel for this invention went to two Canadian researchers. But later on, his precedence was recognized and he was acknowledged as the true inventor of insuline.
4. Henry Coanda invented the first jet plane.
5. Nadia Comaneci was the first gymnast ever to get a perfect ten at the Olympics.
6.Mircea Eliade was the first writer to ever write a complete history of religions.
7. The second language spoken at Microsoft head office is Romanian.
8. And last but not least, have you heard of baseball? The grandfather of baseball is called OINA and it had been played in Romania starting with 1364 until a while ago.
Here a few more pictures of Romania. It is beautiful, you must admit. You should come visit, really.
All the pictures were downloaded from this album dedicated to Romania. You should check it out.